Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gene Austin Greer: My Brother


My Brother Gene
By Rene
for his 75th Birthday

I remember you helping your little sister, me, shell peanuts half of Christmas day and how hard you tried to salt them, because I loved salted peanuts. You even put a little water-a cup from the little dishes I had- then you sprinkled salt on them. I can still see you sitting at that little table. Another year I remember saying, wasn't it lucky Santa brought daddy a pocket watch because you had bought him a 'fob' for it. And you never once told me to quit believing!

I remember how you boys could go all over the orchard, from tree to tree without ever getting down. It seemed to me you slept outside a lot in the summer. Once after much begging, I was allowed to sleep outside with you. The ground was so hard, but you kept telling me how much fun we were having. Well, the stars were beautiful.

I remember the cat we had that ran up your leg and body and perched on your shoulder whenever you went out with the milk bucket. It rode down to the barn and as milked, you would squirt some of that good, warm milk into its mouth. How do I know it was good? You told me it was, but I never really liked it. I also remember the sad demise of the cat. We were out under the tree shucking corn to be bottled. You would fill the wagon with corn and bring it to us. As most cats are, it was curious and it sniffed and nibbled on the cor. It even tried to eat that which was ready to go in the house. Finally Mother because so exasperated she told you to "get that cat out of here and keep it out'. She said she didn't care what you did with it . So you tied it up to Daddy's fast operated grinding wheel with the only thing you could find-a piece of wire. When the corn was all in the house, you went to untie the cat but it was gone-wire and all! In the frenzy to get off, it jumped into the bushes and was hanged. I remember saying we would all miss that cat but wondered how you could ever go to milk the cow without the cat.

Do you remember gathering around the radio on Saturday nights while Mother and Daddy had gone to a dance, listening to The Shadow and another program that talked about criminals and where they were wanted? I got so frightened and you said, 'don't worry, they can't cross the state line.' Of course I believed you and was I surprised on my first trip to Ogden to see there was no high wall around Idaho after all.

Another time we were not being very good while the folks were gone. Mother kept her new electric iron on top of the 'press.' We had a scuffle and the iron fell off. we knew we were in trouble if it was broken so we took an oath not to tell what had happened. thank goodness it was not hurt a bit. But we were some uneasy kids until ironing day.

I remember you big boys flooding the hill so it would get ice so no traffic would get up it. What breath taking rides we had on the sleigh. it was a steep hill! I always thought you were brave to go to the cellar to get potatoes or apples. I was sure there was spiders there-not just spiders, but Black Widows!

I also remember you taking the lid off the big frying pan and stealing a big mouthful of potatoes, right from the pan. Yes you got scaled but you loved fried potatoes! And also stuffed peppers and still do. Later we all loved the food at the old Layton Noodle Parlor.

After we moved to Willard, I remember both you and Jr. got skates for Christmas. You would go down to Willard Bay to skate. I always wanted to go. Jr. would say 'No we don't want you to tag along.' But you would say, 'Oh come on.' I only had boots to slide around in but it was fun! Then you went back to Malad, graduated from Malad High. You and Fern got married and you got into the thick of WWII. After you were wounded, we were glad to have you home. You have always been a good hard worker. I remember once when you and Jr. were both out of work. He said he couldn't afford to work just anywhere and he didn't But you went to work for the railroad. You said you couldn't afford not to.

Doug remembers that you have always been an upbeat person with a ready smile and a willingness to help others.

We remember you and Fern coming to sit with us when J.D. was hurt and being operated on. J.D. says he remembers you driving that big old school bus, swinging in the tire swing you had built, of going down to the 'crick' not the river. Also remembers the family reunion in the park across from your house. Gary remembers going to the crick and falling in again and again.

Lori remembers you coming to see her at Primary Hospital. She mostly remembers your laugh and the twinkle in your eye. They both remind her of Grandpa Greer. Larry remembers going to the crick and also playing kick the can with everyone. Judy remembers your white hair and smile. And Troy has grown up memories of you coming to visit with us at the doctor's office and hospital.

Thanks for the many memories of all you did to help me have a happy childhood and all your kindness and love and as we have grown older all the meals we've shared at the Chuck-O-Rama.

I love you and am so glad you been and are my big brother.

Rene



My Brother Gene
by Alene

I remember when you had the measles-I had them too- We were probably 4 or 5. We were living up 2 Mile. I remember the bright blue wall and rough plaster. The second house where "Cap" lived and all his trunks and white peppermints and of course "ex-lax". I remember you fed them to me because they were "special candy".

I remember when Daddy took us in the car- who's I don't know- we were across the river from the house and Daddy was repairing the fence and a "big" bull was in the field- Daddy told us to say in the car but the bull came up to the fece and you decided we should get out of the car and run back to the house- I don't know how we were going to get across the river but run we did and the old bull running along the fence with us- fortunately for us, Daddy saw us and rescued us.

We would always go to Malad on Saturday and take the cream or whatever we had to sell- and came back way after dark.Then Daddy would put us on a horse to go up in the "Danes" far filed to get the cows and drive them back to the corral so Daddy could milk them. We'd get up to that far field and the coyotes would howl and you, my friend, would get off the horse (cause you could get back on) and leave me on the horse while you threw rocks into the trees to scare the coyotes. I would cry and you'd be mad cause I scared the coyotes.

We had a great life- we were poor but didn't know it. I remember when you took wood to town with Daddy and he accidentally ran over you with the wagon. I was so scared when you were in the hospital . I never knew Dr Mabey, but I hated him.

I remember beating Billy K. Evans up because he hit you in the head with a snowball. I remember beating him up another time when he pushed you off the slippery slide. You were bigger than i was but you were also nicer-so I fought your battles.

I remember in high school in Brigham- you had history in the morning and I had it in the afternoon and we had the same teacher and you'd tell me the test at lunch - that way I could get a "C" instead of an "F".

I remember when you got your driver's license and we borrowed Daddy's Model A and got Grant and Iva Lou budge and we went to Downey and down through Logan and back through Brigham and home we were gone all day and into the evening. We got home, no one was home but there was fried chicken and potato salad and chocolate cake and we helped ourselves and took off again - we went to Samaria and Pleasantview and to Budges about 9pm. We dumped Grant and Iva Lou out and went home. We got a scotch blessing and rightfully so - I don't remember if we ever got the car again.

I do remember Daddy's looks - and not saying a whole lot but taking our skates away -(ice skates) and we didn't skate the rest of the season. I remember when you went in the service - and when you were wounded. I can't remember anything negative in our relationship with each other throughout our life.

Among the things it took me years to forgive you for (I say years, because I was 12 before I went to Salt Lake City) is that on Wednesday night they had bank night at the theater in town. You bought a ticket and they had a drawing at the end of the show and whoever they drew got $100, but you to the there. Mother and Daddy went a lot of times, so we kids stayed home. (This was summer) You boys loved "Gang Busters" on the radio. it started off with sirens and gunshots ect. I'd be crying my eyes out before the story ever started and you would try to console me. You'd tell me this was in Salt Lake City on (KSL) and no one could get over the Utah Line. You said there was a big 40 or 50 foot rock wall on the State line and I felt so blessed no robbers ever got to us. Why would they- we were to poor. Then I discovered there was no wall!!!

I was always, and still am, proud of my "big brother"-

Good luck in the next 75 years - I love you,

#1 Sis,
Alene

Gene,

You have always been someone that I admired and knew I could call you a great friend. You are a stalwart of truth and kindness. I don't ever recall an angry word or show of temper. I truly appreciate the experiences we have had together. In later years, I have felt a true brotherhood with you. Continue as you are always,

Alene's other half,

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment