Friday, August 10, 2012

The "Greats" Memories of My Grandma and Grandpa Greer

The "Greats" Memories of My Grandma and Grandpa Greer

Every Saturday evening my parents, Lydia and I would watch "The Lawrence Welk Show" on PBS with my Grandma and Grandpa. Lydia was just a toddler and would dance and sing along and it brought my Grandparents such joy watching her. Lydia called them "The Greats" and would help put them to bed every night. My Grandpa passed on Lydia's 3rd birthday and my Grandma the day before the Twins and Taylie's birthdays this year. I miss them very much.

I had the privilege of living in their front yard growing up. My Grandpa sold the front of his property to my parents for a dollar so they could build a home. It was such a blessing be so close to them. The relationships that were developed between them and my Siblings and I are my most cherished memories. We saw them every day. And we knew that we were Grandma's Sunshine and she would give us anything she could. And Grandpa had better listen when it comes to the grandkids. I can still her saying "Oh, Gene let them be" When we went to Disneyland and the ocean for the first time they had decided they didn't want to come. Grandma quickly changed her mind, she didn't want to miss us seeing the ocean for the first time so she had Grandpa drive her all night to meet us there. He loved her so and would do anything for her. I don't think they missed a vacation after that.


Christmas morning we could not open presents until we called them and they would track across the snowy paths between our houses in the dark so they wouldn't miss it. Grandpa was the designated trash bag holder and Grandma made sure we opened them one at a time (sometimes to my Dad's dismay) so she wouldn't miss a thing. She would be up and ready by 4am just waiting for our call, not wanting to make us wait. She also would come over every morning to help my Mom with my twin brothers when they were born and also with my moms daycare. She would be there at 5 as soon as she saw my Dad had left for work.

Grandpa would drive us everywhere and tell us stories of growing up, the war if we were lucky, and of places he helped build. At the time I would think to myself I have heard these stories hundreds of times. Now I wish I could here them just once more. Towards the end of his life he suffered from Alzheimer's and didn't always know who we were. But he always knew Lydia, she was his Pumpkin Roller. She was the last person he spoke to. She had told him that she loved him and his response was "I love you too pumpkin roller." I remember his hands so well, he caught me climbing up the ladder to hand Alex Christmas lights when I was 8 months pregnant with the twins. I don't think I ever seen him so upset (at me anyway) and the lecture from him as he helped me down from the ladder was one I wont soon forget. He loved/loves me so much. He could fix anything. He would help with anything.


Grandma taught me that the Meadow lark song says "Tracie Fern's a pretty little girl" it wasn't till I was a teenager that I learned she sung this to all of my cousins. It still made me feel special though. She would sing songs of "Mares eat Oats", "Donut Shop", but most of all "You are My Sunshine.


I was named after her, Fern. It is so beautiful. I have to admit though it was so much fun when I was younger trying to get classmates to guess my middle name and telling them it was a 4 letter F word. We had a special bond, she was their for all most all of my "Firsts" and I had the privilege of being their for all of her "lasts". The last time she went to the Temple was when I took out my endowments, My children were some of the last babies she got to hold. Children always brightened her day.


I was there for her last Christmas, I call it our Christmas Miracle. She too had Alzheimer's and dementia and the last few years she wouldn't know who were were. Lydia would cry almost every time we left because she didn't know her. It broke my heart. But on Christmas she was herself, she knew us, played with the children, hugged and kissed them. It was such a blessing as that was the last time they saw her. I started visiting her every Thursday before I would head into work, she never spoke or knew who I was. She would look at you with a blank stare. I was able to occasionally get her to sing with me some of the songs she would sing to me growing up. I could see the little flicker of who she once was. I was the last person she spoke to. As I was leaving I repeatedly told her "I love you Grandma, I have to go now" trying to initiate some response. After several tries I turned to leave and she looked at me, really looked at me, she knew me and said "I love you too, sweetheart" and then I could see the fog settle in again. She passed away a week later.


Grandma and some of my cousins. She is holding me.

I stayed with my mom, dad, and two of my aunts at the nursing home while we waited for her to go home. My wonderful husband kept the house and the kids together. It was a long 3 days, the hardest in my life. Trying to contact cousins, and Aunts so my mom wouldn't have to. Staying up late till the time came. I had left the nursing home to clean up my parents home so they wouldn't have to worry about it when they got back. While there I stopped in the room she used to stay in and was looking at some of her trinkets. I found a Hummingbird music box that played her favorite song "In the Garden" I felt very impressed that I should bring it back with me. I did and when I went to show my parents and aunts I found them working on a hummingbird puzzle. Ironic I thought.


She passed just minutes after we finished it, it was one of the most sacred experiences I have ever had the privilege of being apart of. The next few days I went with my mom to help with the arrangements (I am an only daughter with 4 brothers and felt she needed me there and that I needed to be there so she let me come). Everywhere I looked in the Funeral home were little figurines or pictures of Hummingbirds. Hummingbirds. When I got home I decided to Google the meaning of them. Hummingbirds represent the transition from life to death, joy, hope, and infinity. Wow. I still think of her every time I see a Hummingbird, which has been quite a lot. I also was able to help dress her in the temple clothes her mother made for her. Inside her temple bag was the Grandmother ID card they gave her when she came to the temple with me. I put it in my pocket and took it home. It now rests in my temple bag. She looked so beautiful, she looked like My Grandma. I know that she lives, I feel her with me when I miss her the most. I sure do miss her. I am so grateful to a loving Heavenly Father and my Brother Jesus Christ for making it possible for us to be and Eternal family. It gets me through each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment